Thursday 23 June 2011

say what?!


So in the past week I was told I have expensive taste by two people. This instantly raised my hackles, because I feel they haven't really thought it through. Yes, I do prefer to shop at Woolies rather the Checkers or Mr Price for food and clothing, but I do this because of the quality I get from the one place over the over. I am willing (and fortunately able, to a certain degree) to be able to choose quality, but I think that's as far as it goes. I definitely don't choose the more expensive option to appear "grand" or because I am pretentious.

I ike telling people about a good restaurant or cafe I recently ate at, and they often respond by saying that I must be loaded because they couldn't afford to go there. Well, have your looked at Spur's menu lately? A burger there costs R5 or R10 (if that) less than a "gourmet" burger at the places I frequent. And of course the marginally more expensive burger tastes a damn lot better - and is probably healthier to boot.

Hmmm...do I sound like I am ranting? Perhaps, but I feel there is a case to be made for quality and that more people should try it. Yes, this may mean that they have to shorten their grocery list somewhat, or eat out less, or buy one pair of shoes than rather two, but at the end of the day I'm sure they'll be happier with the bag of bananas that are all edible, the well-prepared, perhaps even lovingly prepared meal, or the coat that lasts for several more seasons.

Let me know what you think. I am totally open to hearing opposing thoughts!

Image: Going with my Gut

No comments:

Post a Comment